Tuesday 13 August 2013

Holiday Post - Part Two - Holland

As I sit on the computer and try to sort the holiday photos into some sort of order (I used two cameras), I am at a loss to figure out what we did on the Tuesday. Having already posted about arriving to Rotterdam it comes to mind that we actually went for the long walk and the pancake house meal on the Tuesday. So we'll just skip to Wednesday. Lucky you!

Wednesday we headed out en masse to Gouda. It was only a 30 minute train ride from Rotterdam and a nice day trip. The upside to travelling with a child in Holland is no matter where we went I only had to pay 3euro return fare for Emily. The downside? Helen, at the grand age of 12, was considered adult fare. WTF?! Enough said.

Gouda had a pretty town centre, with the city hall in the main square surrounded by antique and bric-a-brac stalls. Heaven. I even spotted the obligatory old sewing machine for sale. And, no, I didn't buy it.


Of course Gouda is famous for cheese, and there was an abundance of that in numerous locations. Yes, I did buy cheese.


The next day was another family excursion as we all went and did a river cruise in Rotterdam. Rotterdam suffered a huge amount of damage in the second world war and consequently has a very modern city centre. It reminded me very much of North American city centres in many ways. Seeing it from the river gives you a good sense of the skyline, and of the humongous nature of the container shipping industry there.


Afterwards, my brothers and I went and strolled around to further explore with Helen accompanying us. We loved coming across one of those fountains that squirts up water randomly that you can walk through. Stuart tried to get caught to no avail, but Helen wasn't so lucky. Especially with her Uncle Andrew holding her in there while she laughed, and got wet.


That night we all ate out and, as I do on occasion, I let the girls taste the wine. I don't think they are finding anything to like about it yet.


Friday was the day for Amsterdam. Stuart and I took the kids and gave them a crash course in tacky souvenir shops - which hadn't really been our intention. Unfortunately the same shops that sold the t-shirts and things they were interested in also sold less than desirable items for the discerning child. The kids were not impressed, so we paid for them to go into the Amsterdam Dungeon while Stuart and I walked around some more. That cheered them up to no end.


Despite a less than stellar start, we all enjoyed Amsterdam. There are plenty of beautiful places to see even if you are with heathen children who are not interested in seeing any museums, and we had a most stellar Chinese takeaway lunch. As you know, good food always makes me happy.


Suddenly we only had one full day left. During the week we had an extra person around much of the time, which was my nephew's Dutch friend, Lucas. Lucas's family live not too far from Rotterdam and on Saturday we went out to see them. Before going to their home they took us to see Kinderdijk, which has a large number of traditional, still working windmills.


At the family home we had a wonderful traditional Dutch meal in an old farmhouse perched on a dike down by a small canal. Lucas's brothers have an out building where they are encouraged to practice their love of graffiti without getting in trouble. Imagine the girls' delight when they realised that they could have a go too!


It was a marvellous trip, but we had to come home Sunday as himself was due back into work for the start of the week. The weather was wonderful. Spending time with all my family together was a pleasure. It was a relaxing holiday despite the sightseeing, and reminded us that we have so many places to explore within easy reach.

I took some embroidery with me but never took it out of its pouch. I hung out with my family. I read books. I did sod all. I also didn't read a blog the whole time I was away. I didn't write or reply to emails. I went online briefly each day to pop a couple of photos on Instagram and that was it. I am almost 400 blogposts in arrears, but that doesn't matter. Today I did laundry, and then some more laundry. I will slowly get back up so speed. Then I will go away again.

Susan

25 comments:

  1. I love all of your photos - that gigantic clog - priceless. Love the shot of you and your brother! Glad you all had such a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, and we all know you snuck back to those tacky shops for a new set of furry handcuffs when the girls were in the dungeon! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your holiday trip sounds great!
    I love Holland and we are there often since we live only 15 km from the dutch border, but in June we were in Amsterdam for the first time. Such a beautiful town! But the traffic was hell so next time we will definitively use the park and ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holland is so beautiful! Have been there three times but just two with kids. I remember the bridge in Rotterdam.
    Great you had a wonderful holiday and already with one foot gone again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like my ideal holiday, now wheres my cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Warning... you will be amazed at how quickly those taste buds mature!
    Enjoy those gorgeous girls at this lovely age...and thanks for the free tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a wonderful trip! I hope you brought me a willy pinny :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful holiday! Thanks for sharing the photos - Holland looks like a beautiful country to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you relaxed. You deserved it, as did the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun! I love that you just lost an entire day - now that's relaxing. I'm wondering if you can read into Helen's or Emily's personality based on their tag. Helen's a bit rock star and Emily is oozing girlishness?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed both posts about your adventures. Isn't it amazing how fast time passes when you are on holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a fantastic holiday to Holland last year (visiting Floriade, the Hoge Veluwe, the Kinderdijk and (shudders) Duinrell at the end (not my cup of tea but 2out of 3 children enjoyed it). It makes me want to go on holiday (despite the fact that I still have not finished all the washing that we brought back with us at the weekend after 2 weeks in Cornwall...)Glad you all had such a good time - enjoy your next trip away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant pictures, that cheese has made me hungry! Sounds like the girls had lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, thinking daughter #2 has been practising her graffiti in her spare time ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab pics _ I love the wine tasting faces the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh look at those windmills!! I love Amsterdam and nothing to do with a crush I had there ;) As kids we were allowed wine and water with Sunday lunch (from about the age of 10 probably)and I think it's a great way to teach children responsibly about alcohol...takes away the big intrigue about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost feel like I was away with you. Such great photos.

    I would have spent all my time in the bric a brac shops in Gouda. Looks like a slice of heaven.

    And naturally you bought cheese. How could you not?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you on the alcohol, I think its not such a taboo thing then and not open to abuse. Glad that you had such a relaxing time

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you got to go and now that you see how easy it is to manage it and your girls are older, maybe you can go to interesting places more often.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bloggy breaks are a necessity. No sense reading life backwards, move on from here with no regrets and happy memories from your family adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday. Thanks for reminding me of a few memories; I was bridesmaid once in Gouda City Hall, and oh how I miss the choice in cheese now... and the markets!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like a fun and memorable trip! Thanks for sharing all the amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photos and so much fun as a family. You've shown me part of the world I know little about. Love the girls faces after the wine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.