Tuesday, 22 March 2011
Sherbet Pips Finished!
Woohoo! A quick trip out to the quilt shop today to find an appropriate fabric for the binding for my quilt, a mini marathon of hand sewing to finish it and I AM DONE. Not a lot to say other than that. It has been a nose to the grindstone sort of day - in a good way. I am very happy with the finished result. When you are working without a pattern and with new fabric you just have to hope that what you can visualise in your mind will be the same in actuality. For better, or for worse, what I wanted is what I got.
There are nine eight and a half inch squares, each featuring either the girls on swings, the scootering children or the puppies. These are joined by a Moda Solids grey. Surrounded by two inch squares and more grey. The backing is the grey but the stippling is done in a contrasting red thread to add interest and bound in red with a white dot - also from Moda.
Ah, enough of the details. Just have a look at it and I hope you like it.
Nine squares -
Some grey sashing and small squares -
And as a whole -
Finally, on my favourite little bit of fence to photograph things right now -
Oh, and with a look at the binding and how the quilting looks in the red thread on the grey backing -
And that is that. The first quilt I have ever made AND blogged.* (please see below) How nerve wracking to show people and then cross all fingers and toes that they think I have done a half decent job.
Tonight I shall sit and think, 'What next?' I have more Sherbet Pips I could play with. Or the new fabric I ordered from Etsy and finally received. Or the Heather Ross fabrics I splurged on. Or...
Yeah, yeah, I know. You get the drift, but as a quilty sort of person I have to say it is a nice dilemna to have.
*Edit of post: I am really sorry to everyone I have confused. I never thought about my wording in the post until I suddenly had people who didn't know me reading my blog. I did word it poorly and I am in the wrong. This was the first quilt I have ever made and then blogged straight afterwards. Not even sure if that works for wording. I have officially made about 10-12 baby quilts prior to this and made lots of mistakes on them. It was a steep learning curve. I did not blog until two months ago and you probably would not want to see the original bodge job quilts made before that. For anyone who thinks that I somehow managed to get it right first try - I so wish I was that good.
In fact, I am not even clever enough to word things properly at times. Sorry. I will try harder next time.