Sometimes what is required/requested is a purely girl, pink pouch. And I have pinks so I don't have a problem doing this.
First I pieced some hexies into two small panels. Then I played with some matchstick quilting on some linen. Next I machine appliquéd the hexies onto my linen panels. Finally, I turned these two small panels into a pouch.
At first I was a little annoyed myself that I didn't think about the placing of the hexies so that they got caught up in the boxing of the corners. But then I looked at it a little longer and decided that although it was unintended, I rather liked the way it looked. Good thing really, because I wasn't about to fix it in any way that would be an improvement.
Here's what the other side looks like.
But my absolute favourite bit of making this is the stitching on the linen. I really enjoyed doing it and think I need to make a pouch of just linen, stitched like this.
I used five different threads - three Aurifil 50w in pink, white and red. The same Aurifil colour pink but in 12w. And a Mettler gold metallic I had in my thread box. So now I am mentally going through my thread collection and thinking about different combinations. I have to finish up any obligations I have, and the usual Christmas shopping, baking, etc, but I will be returning to this idea.
Watch this space.