The colour concept for the quilt began with some layer cake squares I was given in a swap. The range of blues inspired me; the injections of bright colours worked for me perfectly. The hard bit was whittling down the colour pops to just three.
I have long loved the plus quilt design but knew that I wished to do my own take on it. I wanted a fair amount of negative space so that the actual pluses stood out well against the background.
And I wanted to have no interruption to the flow of the design. No edge, not even the binding. I went about this by incorporating the pluses that touched the edge right into the binding.
The final part of the process, the quilting, was another new to me process. I had never done such tight quilting on a quit before. It was a learning process, to say the least. But I gained invaluable help from my wonderful online friends and love the texture that the quilting adds to the overall finish.
Singing the Blues finishes at 42" x 50". I used a range of quilters cottons, backing it with Kona white. It is quilted with Aurifil 50 white on the front and an Aurifil orange on the back.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and see my entrance into the quilt festival. I love visiting the blogs of as many of the entrants as possible. There is always so much talent and inspiration.